6 Month Update

We have officially been in Germany for 6 months now! Isn't that crazy?! I think it is absolutely crazy!

For this post I thought it would be fun to share a little bit about my thoughts on things I've noticed/experienced, things I am missing, things I have learned, and just an overall discussion of what life has been like the last 6 months - aside from the traveling excitement.

For those who may be bored by this post I am sorry! :) Come back Monday to read about our latest adventure! 


Image courtesy of Google.

Eating huge sausages with hardly any bread
You can get a bratwurst with bread at a lot of places - the grocery store, the mall, street vendors, etc., but they all come with the smallest "bun". Only the middle section of the sausage can be enjoyed with the bread! I am not sure why this is, regardless it is still really delicious! 

Bubbly
I will never forget when I ordered a liter of tap water and was served a pitcher of sparkling water! I was dumbfounded at how this could be! (I still kind of am.) Everyone likes their drinks bubbly over here! From the water to the apple juice, it comes bubbly! The good news is, non bubbly versions do exist too. 


Image courtesy of Google.

Hello & Goodbye
In the US you can go to a lot of places with no body giving you a formal hello or goodbye. That is not the case here! Everywhere you go - from the bank, to a store, to the hospital, everyone greets back and forth. A hello or good day, to a ciao or Tschüss (goodbye).

Fast Cashiers
Checking out at a German grocery store requires skill. The cashier rings your grocery's so quickly and you are responsible for bagging them even faster! Sometime's if I have too many grocery's I will just throw them in the cart and bag afterwards. There is 0 time for messing around at check out! Your money better be ready, and your bagging hands better be quick!
Image Courtesy of Google. 

Closed
Everything is closed on Sunday - aside from the bakeries - a few of those are still open. But any kind of shop is closed (grocery, pharmacy, drugstore)! Gone are the days where I grocery shop on a Sunday - but if we're being honest who actually enjoy's going to the grocery store on a Sunday? That is right - I don't think anyone! What we enjoy is the convenience of being able too! Here, we know we can't so we make it work! 

Recycling
I have 5 different bags in my kitchen for trash! One for actual trash, one for plastics, one for cardboards, one for compostable items, and one for glass! It definitely took some getting used too - separating everything out, but now that I do it, I don't think I could ever go back! 

Washer/Dryer
I think of myself as a pretty smart individual. But give me a German wash machine and I completely lose my ability to function! I had to research our machine and take notes! Theni had to look at the notes I took every time I did laundry for the first two weeks! For one it is in a different language, but for two the settings are different from what we have in the States. Additionally, we have been dryer free for 6 months! It requires more patience. You can't wash something and be able to use it the same day - so washing sheets and towels becomes a calculated task! 

 Language Barrier
It exists, big time. Even though I am learning German, I am not fluent. Which means that sometimes simple tasks are made more complicated. At first, I used it as an excuse. I wouldn't go to the meat counter because I didn't know how to ask for what I wanted. I let the language actually build a physical barrier between me and the things I needed or wanted to do. Some things I had to do, but would hate it because I would be so scared. Like dry cleaning - Blake work's all day, so I have to take the dry cleaning. I would be so scared to drop it off or pick it up! But now, I don't let it scare me! I use what German I do know, and most people will use what English they know and somehow someway we figure it out! Even the moments where I still don't know what they said to me, the clothes still got washed. The best part was? Nothing happened to me! I lived. There was/is nothing to be afraid of.



Comfort Zone
I have loved the quote above for as long as I can remember. But I don't think I fully had an understanding of what it really meant to be uncomfortable. Everyday living here has pushed me to really reach far beyond what I am comfortable with. From everyday tasks, to learning a new language, to trying new foods, and meeting new people. I am forced into situations where I have to know ahead of time that I am probably not going to understand 50% of what is about to go down. I am forced to speak German - even though my German is terrible. But I do it, and sometimes people laugh at me, but it is the most humbling experience and for that I am grateful. 

What I Miss
I of course miss all of my family and friends. But most of what I miss is food. #FatGirlProbs
Fall is well underway so I miss all things FALL. I miss the cider mill, and stuffing my face with cider and doughnuts. I MISS CANNED PUMPKIN, I can't find it here. I know I can use a regular pumpkin, but I miss the simplicity of a can. I also miss tacos - like really delicious gourmet tacos. 

I sometimes miss the simplicity of certain tasks. Like going to the bank. While yes, I am being pushed out of my comfort zone trying to ask for money and that is a great experience. I sometimes miss how simple that task would be in the US. Or ordering a sheet cake from Kroger - So simple. But here I have to research where I can even do that and then research how to ask for it. Again, it is humbling and I enjoy that aspect. But sometimes I miss being able to walk right into Target and grab exactly what I need. 

All in all WE LOVE IT HERE. And we are incredibly grateful for this opportunity. I have learned so much, I have experienced so much. 

The best part is, we still get to experience so much more!

Happy Friday!

No comments