Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany // A Dose of Happy

Hi friends! 

Okay, I am going to be real honest here for a moment.

I am taking us back to Christmas time with this post because I feel like we could all use some happy. 
#HAPPINESSFORALL
And nothing says happy quite like the holidays!

I choose each day to wake up and be happy. Please stop with all the hate and hurtful things! It ruins my #happy!


Remember this for me when you want to spread hate!


And remember this when your opinion differs from someone else's.
Lead by example my friends.


Okay now on to the post which will contain all the happy things!


Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a charming city in Bavaria (southern Germany). It is best known for its well preserved medieval town. Rick Steve's refers to it as "Germany's fairy-tale dream town" and for good reason. Rothenburg is surrounded by a covered fortress making a walk around the walls perfect for a rainy day - which is a good thing because day 2 was rainy!

First up on our list was to check out the Christmas market.



It was full of tourists! We just wanted to peak at it before we continued exploring.

Many people come for the town square and the Christmas markets!



Views into the towns outside the walls.




I really found the buildings quite charming!

Käthe Wohlfahrt is a family run company that makes German Christmas decorations and ornaments. The main shop is in Rothenburg, so you know we had to visit!


Inside the Christmas Village you find this! A 16ft revolving white Christmas tree! Now if that doesn't make you happy... :) It has over 1000 glass bulbs and 12,500 sparkling lights. This is on display all year round!

Yes, I made Blake wait in a LINE to enter this Christmas wonderland!




We found a charming place for a Schnitzel dinner! Schnitzel also is #allthehappythings!




Crowded streets navigating the market!


I was charmed by this city! I know I keep saying that, but I really did find it so spectacular.


I booked a hotel maybe 5 days before we went to visit (*side note* NOT a wise idea around the holidays). I think I booked the last room in the town, which also happened to by our own little house! #allthehappythings!

After dark there is a Night Watchman's tour that takes place every evening in English!


We started the tour, but skipped away after about 20 minutes. There was just way to many people and the guy was a little wonky!

We woke early on Sunday to walk the walls! But you guessed it... It was raining! Have no fear. The walls are covered!

The town wall encircles the city and is about 1.5 miles around.



Getting ready to climb the stairs to walk the walls!








Even with the rain and fog it was still a pretty view! And the charm!




There are 42 gatehouses and towers! Some allow entry only by foot.





We were overwhelmed with charm! And #allthehappythings!



We got lunch at the Christmas market... it was delicious! I had a rolled flatbread with bacon, onions, cream cheese. #allthehappythings




Finally before leaving to head home we got one of Rothenburg's special treats: A Schneeballen, or snowball cake! They are made of pastry crust rolled into balls. I was a big fan of the cinnamon sugar.

I hope that everyone reading today spreads the happy!

xoxo, Riley

No comments