August - Life & Books



Happy August! 

I know it is not the 1st day of August anymore, I had every good intention of doing this yesterday, but then LIFE happened, as it does. 


Many of you probably feel this way. It is true! One more month and the summer is over! It has cooled off significantly this week in Braunschweig. It has me dreaming of pumpkin spiced everything, leaves, oversized sweaters, boots, and all things fall. 

Yesterday, we were informed that a contractor would be visiting us on Tuesday. So, I had to prep our kitchen for the installation of our washing machine!!! Yep! After 3 months of living in Germany, we are finally going to get our own washing machine. Originally it was supposed to be set up in our basement. However, due to some German process it was going to take another 6 months. So we asked for an alternative solution. Cue kitchen installation! I lose a sweet little shelf that I had been using to organize a few things, but I get to clean my own clothes. So I am happy!

And secondly, I had my final VISA appointment at the office in Braunschweig. Now, yesterday, August 1st would have been my 90th day. Had I not gone to Michigan for 10 days, I would have been far more anxious for yesterday's meeting. But since I left the country for 10 days, I got an additional 10 days added to my clock. But I also got my visa! After a long, 3 month process (that seemed to change after each meeting) we can all relax because it is now legal for me to stay here. :)

Now for my goals! I have liked doing this for the last two months, but truthfully, my goals aren't changing. They are staying the same because each month I don't do the best. So this month as I prepared for my goals, I was like oh crap, they are the same, AGAIN. And that is just truthfully boring!

But I am going to continue to update you on the process of my usual fitness and reading goals each month and do a book review of the books I read. It will be a nice space for me to reflect on what I have done , all while hopefully encouraging you to read a book! :)

As for my running, it did go better than I expected. I ran 3 times a week for most of the weeks, and Blake ran with me! It was an enjoyable time that we were able to spend together, and we are continuing it into this month! We have to be in shape to climb a mountain in September! And 500 stairs - one of the places we are staying at has 500 outdoor steps to reach the front door...no other way in, no other way out. YIKES!

July Book Review


I had heard a lot of great things about this book. It seemed that every one was reading it or had already read it. So I decided to get it. WOW! It was an amazing book. The plot was developed, the characters, all of them, were so likable. It was a book I truthfully wasn't expecting to like, and I loved it! It is about two people in their 30's who are living with dementia. It is a book I highly recommend.


So first I need to share WHY I read this book. I joined an email club called BookBub. Every day I get an email about books that are free, $.99, or $1.99. I downloaded a bunch the first week. This was one of them. It was not my favorite book. It was inspiring in the sense where you believe in yourself a little more. But the main character isn't likable. The book is dreadfully whiny and made me annoyed. That is not what I look for in a book. So, this one I am not going to recommend you pick up.  


I picked this up in an airport this month. I have read one other book by Liane Moriarty and absolutely loved it. So I had high hopes I would feel the same about this one! And you guessed it, I loved this book. It may be one of my favorite books of the year. It was a raw family dynamic that you could relate too. It was sisters, and secrets, and wishes that just made me happy. I couldn't stop flipping the pages of this one!

This month I only made it through 3 books. My August book review will begin with:


I just started this book, and am enjoying it so far!






No comments